Wedding Venue Feature: Lord Thompson Manor
|Vibe and Features||Elegant mansion estate, very private, offsite spa for getting ready|
|Guest Capacity||140 (as limited by indoor reception)|
|Location||286 Thompson Hill Rd.|
Thompson, CT 06277
|Similar Venues||Branford House, Lion Rock Farm, Stone Acres Farm, Wadsworth Mansion, Society Room of Hartford|
- Wedding Venue Feature: Lord Thompson Manor
- Lord Thompson Manor History
- Venue Vibe
- Lord Thompson Manor Floorplan and Layout
- Lord Thompson Manor Wedding Costs and Considerations
- Hotels Near Lord Thompson Manor
- Lord Thompson Manor Wedding Photos
- Learn More
Thompson is a town nestled up in the northeastern corner of Connecticut, just minutes from Massachusetts and Rhode Island. This is the state’s Quiet Corner, where Thompson is situated. While probably most visited for its hiking, this mill town is also home to one of the southern New England’s best mansion event venues. Therefore, couples travel from both near and far to have Lord Thompson Manor weddings.
Lord Thompson Manor History
Lord Thompson Manor is a historic mansion located in Thompson, Connecticut. It was built in 1917 apparently as a summer home for Stanley Thompson. Thompson was a wealthy Canadian businessman, philanthropist, and golf course designer.
The mansion is known for its grand architecture and elegant design, with features such as a marble fireplace, a formal dining room, and immaculate grounds. Under its current ownership by a private company, the property has become well known for Lord Thompson Manor weddings.
Lord Thompson Manor is an upscale, pricey venue. With attention to how Lord Stanley had his home built, the venue takes great care of the property’s little details (it’s similar to Saint Clements Castle in this way). Accordingly, everything from the polish on the interior’s dark wood to the cleanliness of the outdoor patio furniture is handled with care.
When I was last there, one of the staff told me that most of their couples are from out of state. Couples come from New York, Boston, Rhode Island, and New Jersey for weddings here. This makes sense: Lord Thompson Manor offers something quite unique in a tranquil, Connecticut setting.
Privacy is top-notch here. Lord Thompson Manor’s main property is set far back from the public road. As you enter the main property, you’re greeted by a long, tree-covered driveway. This leads you past a circular driveway in front of the manor itself, all the way to the large parking lot on the far side.
Simply put, Lord Thompson Manor is the best Connecticut Quiet Corner wedding venue. This is remarkable considering that the area is home to mostly rustic and barn wedding venues.
Lord Thompson Manor Floorplan and Layout
The venue is actually comprised of two buildings and pretty expansive grounds. Here are all of the spaces available for your Lord Thompson Manor wedding:
The Cottage House and KISS Spa
Our tour actually starts at 351 Thompson Rd., the location of The Cottage House and KISS Spa. Under the same ownership of the mansion, this building is about a mile from the main Lord Thompson Manor wedding location.
Lord Thompson Manor’s KISS Spa offers hair and makeup staff and even has on-site massages, etc. Additionally, the cottage has about seven rooms in a bed-and-breakfast-style setup (though you’ll have to take care of your own food; there’s no on-site dining). There’s a small lot on the property for parking.
It’s a great getting ready location for one of you to take advantage of. When planning your wedding, always keep this factor in mind!
Lord Thompson Manor Grounds
There are several different outdoor areas where you’ll be able to enjoy your Lord Thompson Manor wedding day and night.
Backyard and Ceremony Field
The centerpiece of Lord Thompson Manor’s exterior is its huge backyard. Here, there’s a 2000 square-foot patio with tables and chairs, an area of canopy-covered outdoor seating areas reminiscent of a Sandals resort, and large field. The latter is ideal for larger ceremonies.
The uniqueness of this venue really shines in its side garden. This rectangular space is to the left of Lord Thompson Manor, as you stand and face the front of the mansion. It measures about 100 feet by 50 feet. It’s adorned by boxwood plants ideally arranged to make an aisle between the side of the mansion and a large, flower-covered iron arbor.
Another delightful feature about a wedding at Lord Thompson Manor is the opportunity for a group photo in the garden. As a wedding photographer, I’ve had several couples ask me for this over the years. This venue’s staff actually pride themselves on this: there’s a great balcony on the side of the mansion overlooking the garden.
Just beyond the side garden, moving away from the manor, is a nice wooded area. I photographed a beautiful autumn first look here; the light in this spot is excellent.
Lord Thompson Manor Interior
Accordingly, let’s move inside and discuss what Lord Thompson Manor has to offer.
Formally known as The Billiards Room, the mansion’s basement is ideal for one partner and their attendants to get ready in. This space is very dark and stylish; it’s important that your wedding photographer knows how to use light properly. (And yes, there’s a pool table down here.)
The first floor of Lord Thompson Manor has a very interesting layout. While large, it’s broken up into several smaller spaces with their own personalities:
- Drawing Room: Just inside the front door of the manor, this 600 square-foot room has a bold appeal. There’s a piano, bar, and large fireplace. Typically for larger weddings, this room is reconfigured for you two to have dinner privately.
- Breakfast Room, Hunt Room, Belmont Room, and Terrace: These spaces each receive tables and chairs for guests to dine during your reception. The largest of these rooms is the Terrace, measuring about 600 square feet. This one also overlooks the side garden with large windows and door to the balcony.
- Conservatory: This is where cocktail hour drinks and food are served, as well as where wedding reception parties takes place. This room is a long, narrow rectangle, measuring about 20 by 70 feet. The bar is at one end and your band or DJ will typically set up at the other end of the room.
Upstairs, Lord Thompson Manor has five bedrooms. Interestingly enough, they all have horse-related names (Thoroughbred I and II, Palomino, Morgan, and Mustang). Similarly to Haley Mansion, these are available to book for your wedding.
Lord Thompson Manor Wedding Costs and Considerations
Like most other Connecticut wedding venues, Lord Thompson Manor has a base fee for on-season weddings; it’s in the neighborhood of $5000. If you’ll be having your ceremony on site, there’s also an associated fee. If you don’t have a wedding planner, the venue does offer limited coordination services. Food options (include rehearsal dinners and farewell brunches) and other details will also factor into your overall cost.
Hotels Near Lord Thompson Manor
In addition to staying in the manor itself and having select friends and family stay at The Cottage House, you’ll want to know about hotels in the area. Here are some accommodations and hotels near Lord Thompson Manor:
- The Watson Boutique Bed and Breakfast (Thompson, CT): This is definitely a boutique option, a fitting choice for your wedding day at the manor. Highly reviewed on Google and right down the street from Lord Thompson Manor.
- The Inn at Woodstock Hill (Woodstock, CT): About a 15-minute drive from the venue, this inn is on the larger side and is located in nearby Woodstock, CT. People love it here, as demonstrated by its 4.7-star rating on Google.
- Comfort Inn & Suites (Dayville, CT): Less than 10 minutes south on I-395, this is the best-reviewed and nearest hotel chain option for a Lord Thompson Manor wedding.
Here’s a wedding I photographed at Lord Thompson Manor. I definitely recommend this venue! It offers a great combination of elegance and uniqueness. Here’s how to get in touch:
I used the following references at different points in this post:
Want to talk some more about Lord Thompson Manor?
I’d be happy to help. Click below for more info then reach out to me when you’re ready.